Jews worldwide in solidarity with Omar Barghouti and Palestinian non-violent resistance
We, the undersigned Jewish organizations and individuals from various countries all over the world, call upon all governments as well as upon international bodies to use all their available means of diplomacy and power to compel the Israeli government to immediately halt its intimidation campaign against Omar Barghouti and the Palestinian-led BDS Movement.
Israel has officially declared its determination to use everything in its power to intimidate and supress the leaders and supporters of the international BDS movement—including the usage of targeted actions by intelligence agencies. Israel’s Minister of Justice Ayelet Shaked instructed the international department of her ministry “to prepare a plan of legal steps” in order to “move from defence to offence” against the BDS movement already a year ago, with the full backing of the Israeli government, to run a massive campaign aimed at criminalizing the internationally-growing BDS movement, and at silencing any protest against the ongoing Israeli occupation.
Meanwhile Aryeh Deri, Israel’s Interior Minister personally took efforts to revoke the permanent residency status of Mr. Omar Barghouti, acting coordinator and spokesman of the BDS movement in Ramallah. He has been barred from leaving the country ever since. His life and well-being have been threatened by Israeli officials repeatedly.
As Jewish organizations and individuals committed to human rights, to democracy and to the rule of law, we speak out against the widespread attacks by the current Israeli government against the BDS movement. Appalled by this state-led bullying against non-violent resistance to the illegal Israeli occupation, we wish to underscore a basic truth which seems to escape the current Israeli administration and its apologists:
International citizens’ boycotts against ongoing abuse of international law are a legally-protected and fundamental civil right. Civil boycotts are a key means of non-violent protest. They cannot, precisely, be interdicted, made illegal or punishable.
In steadfast defence of accepted universal human rights and established standards of international law and decency, we therefore demand:
- The end to Mr. Barghouti’s residency restriction and the reinstatement of his right to free movement
- The guaranteeing of Mr. Barghouti’s and all other Palestinians’ freedom of movement, of political expression and of assembly
- The immediate cessation of all political and legal attempts to criminalize support for BDS and the recognition and restitution of the inalienable right to non-violently resist unjust state actions like occupation and apartheid
List of Organizations (3.6.2016)
Alliance of Concerned Jewish Canadians (ACJC) Canada
Code Pink USA
International Jewish Antizionist Network USA (IJAN USA) USA
Jewish Voice for a Just Peace (Juedische Stimme) Germany
Rete’ Ebrei contro l’Occupazione (Network of Jews against Occupation) Italy
European Jews for a Just Peace (EJJP) Europe
Independent Jewish Voices (IJV) Canada
Kosher to Boycott Israeli Goods (Jews4Big) UK
Jewish Socialists’ Group (JSG) UK
Jewish-Palestinian Dialogue Group Germany
Jews for a Just Peace North Carolina (jfajpNC) USA
Jews for Justice for Palestine (jfjfp) UK
union juive française pour la paix (ujfp) France
Jewish Voice for Just Peace – Ireland (JVJP)
Among the first 100 signatories are:
– Medea Benjamin, Jewish co-founder of Code Pink.
– Noam Chomsky;
– Ronnie Kasrils – former South African government minister;
– Felicia Langer – former Israeli attorney known for her legal defence of Palestinians from the Westbank and Gaza.
– Nurit Peled – 2001 laureate of the Sakharov Prize for human rights and the Freedom of Thought;
– Eyal Sivan, well known filmmaker f. i. Route 181 (2003);
– Rolf Verleger former board member of the Central Council of Jews in Germany.
Im Namen aller Unterzeichner/innen.
Berlin, 03.06.2016 (aktiv bis 30.06.2016)